Can serum inflammatory parameters estimate outcome of pleurodesis in mesothelioma?

ANZ Journal of Surgery. Volume 77 Issue 4 Page 253-255, April 2007. [Link]

Bilgin M, Hasdiraz L, Ozkaya M, Oguzkaya F.

Department of Thoracic Surgery, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey.


Background: As pleurodesis causes systemic inflammation and is associated with considerable cost and morbidity during long-term follow up, the identification of patients who will experience an unsuccessful pleurodesis would be desirable. This study was aimed to investigate whether systemic inflammatory reaction induced by insuflation of talc into the pleura can predict the outcome of pleurodesis.

Methods: A total of 58 consecutive patients (26 men, 32 women) with malignant pleural mesothelioma underwent video-assisted thoracoscopy under general anaesthesia with monopulmonary ventilation between the years 2003 and 2006. Four grammes of asbestos-free and sterile talc were insuflated into the pleural space under direct vision. To assess the success of pleurodesis, chest radiographs were obtained at the 8th and 30th postoperative days. Venous blood samples were drawn both on admission and at the 24th hour after pleurodesis for the analysis of white blood cells, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein.

Results: The mean age (standard deviation) of patients was 59.0 ± 12.0 years. Pleurodesis was achieved (no effusion on chest radiograph) in 43 of 58 patients (74.1%)(group I), whereas it was unsuccessful in the remaining 15 patients (25.9%)(group II). There was a significant difference between two groups for basal and postpleurodesis levels of measured inflammatory parameters, C-reactive protein and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (for each, P < 0.05). However, the difference was not significant for white blood cells between the groups.

Conclusion: Serum levels of inflammatory parameters (C-reactive protein and erythrocyte sedimentation rate) may be used to predict the success of pleurodesis in patients with malign mesothelioma who underwent thoracoscopic talc poudrage.